Child Custody Lawyer in Apple Valley, Hesperia, Victorville, CA
Determining child custody is an important aspect of any divorce or legal separation. Parents love their children and divorce is a difficult time for families. Making custody arrangements that are in the children’s best interests are paramount and there are important options to consider. At the Law Office of Anne E. Lewis, our child custody law firm in Victorville, Califorinia, we help you effectively deal with your custody issues so you can make the right decisions.
Child custody options
Physical and legal custody are the two child custody classifications that define parental obligations and responsibilities.
Legal custody is decision-making concerning:
- Health care
- Therapy or psychological counseling
- Religious activities or upbringing
- Social activities
- Summer camp
- Extracurricular activities
- Residence location
Physical custody manages:
- Daily care
- Transportation to and from school
Joint and sole custody
Legal and physical custody can be joint or sole custody or a combination of both. When one parent has sole physical custody, the other parent has visitation rights.
Joint custody involves both parents making decisions. Sole custody designates one parent to make legal or physical custody decisions. Custody arrangement possibilities include:
- Joint legal and physical custody
- Sole legal and physical custody
- Joint legal and sole physical custody
- Joint physical and sole legal custody
The court’s perspective of the child’s best interests
California courts want what is in the child’s best interests. If the parents arrive at their own custody arrangement and the court approves, custody is easily resolved. When custody is contentious and parents cannot agree, the court decides for the couple. Factors the court takes into consideration include:
- Parent’s ability to care for the child
- Maintaining stability for the child in an established school, home, or community
- Each parent’s emotional relationship with the child
- Child’s age
- Child’s health
- Any history of family violence or drug addiction
Discuss custody with a child custody lawyer in Victorville
Our Certified Family Law Specialist, Anne E. Lewis is an experienced child custody attorney in Victorville who can help you overcome obstacles involving child custody in your San Bernardino County case in the Victorville and Barstow courthouses. Contact the Law Office of Anne E. Lewis online or call 760-955-2500 today to schedule a consultation.